anatomy of kick-ass bowl
Andrew can attest - I eat random dinner bowls every single night. They're not only SO simple, but it's also a way for me to squeeze in all of my absolute favorite foods into one meal. PLUS you get the perfect ratio with each bite. Below is a simple and highly-customizable five-step guide to the anatomy of a perfect bowl. In my most humble of opinions, a kick-ass bowl always contains these five things:
- a good base: some combination of leafy greens and a grain/rice (i.e.: spinach + quinoa)
- a protein: some source of tasty protein (i.e.: chicken, roasted chickpeas, shrimp, etc.
- a body: a combination of 2-4 different vegetables to bring epic flavor and fluff (i.e.: broccoli, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, carrots, cubed eggplant, zucchini, bell peppers, etc.)
- a cherry-on-top: some sort of healthy fat to top everything off (i.e.: hard/soft boiled egg, avocado, or nuts)
- a sauce: I always try to keep it simple here - dressings are often where nutrition-less calories and pesky sugars hide out...so always be sure to read your labels with dressings! I like to use simply, all natural, homemade sauces to top off my bowls (i.e.: soy sauce, lemon juice, tahini, etc.).
bok bok bowl
- 1 cup chicken, shredded / cubed / grilled (here)
- 1/3 – ½ cauliflower stir fry (here)
- 1 cup spinach
- Choice Mixed Veggies (suggestions)
- Broccoli / Cauliflower (from frozen, or steamed)
- Brussel Sprouts (here)
- Seasonings (suggestions)
- Salt + Pepper
- Garlic Salt
- Toppings: ½ avocado, or 1 soft boiled egg, and feta cheese
- Dressing: Soy Sauce + (optional) Chili Garlic Sauce (here)
to make (7-10 minutes)
- Spray a medium saucepan with avocado oil spray. Drop place chicken, cauliflower stir fry, and veggies in the saucepan and sprinkle choice seasonings atop the mixture. Let the mixture blend and heat up for ~7 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure spices are evenly spread across all ingredients.
- While this is heating up in your covered saucepan, we’ll make the soft-boiled egg!
- here is your ultimate egg-boiling guide on my other blog post!
- Place spinach in your serving bowl! Next, drop the beautiful stir fry mixture on top of the lettuce bed! Peel your perfectly soft-boiled egg, and then drizzle 1-2 tablespoons of soy sauce, and a tsp of the chili garlic sauce on top.