FIVE QUICK FIBER FACTS:
- Stabilizes blood sugar ⚖️ : by slowing the body’s desire to absorb sugar (see: glucose) post-meal
- Weight management ♻️: feel fuller longer, promotes feeling of fullness, and lowers fat absorption
- Gut health 🦠 : feeds healthy GI (see: gastrointestinal) bacteria that calls-the-shots on what’s digested or what’s left behind
- Reduces risk for heart disease ❤️: decreases cholesterol levels by latching on to both cholesterol and fats to decrease their absorption in the body (similar to #2)
- Poop 💩: promote bowel movements & alleviate constipation
Fiber, most underrated nutrient category??
As we can assume from the quick-five-facts above, fiber is an extremely underrated nutrient category. Only ~5% of the American population meets recommended fiber intake, according to USDA's National Consumption Survey that surveyed 14,600 U.S. adults between 2013-2018 (source)...which is CRAZY.
Here’s the good news: fiber can be easily integrated into your existing meals… and just 5 to 10g daily reduces blood cholesterol by 3 to 5% (source). Try tossing brown rice, legumes (chickpeas, edamame, black beans), seeds, vegetables (cabbage, carrots, brussels sprouts), oats, popcorn and/or seaweed on your plate.
Your gut's favorite food? FIBER!
Another important thing to note about fiber is its relation to the gut/digestive tract. Dr. Will Bulsiewicz views the gut microbiome as an engine, it is the engine for human health, it wants you to thrive...but if you want that engine to thrive and to work, you have to fuel it, you have to feed it, and its preferred food is fiber (source).
FIBER RICH RECIPE
MUST TRY WORKOUT