sweet potato base:
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1-2 tbsp Olive oil
- Seasonings: salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, chili powder
toppings: *totally customizable*
- 1/2 cup of shredded cheese (I love Tillamock's Mexican cheese)
- 1/2 cup of organic black beans, drained
- handful Jalapeños
- 1 avocado
- 2 tbsp - 1/4 cup of Greek yogurt
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup of salsa
- Optional / recommended: ground turkey, green onions, chopped fresh cilantro, corn
how to make it:
1. preheat oven to 450. wash sweet potatoes, then stab a 5-8 times with sharp knife or fork. wrap in a paper towel, and microwave for 3 minutes (this allows the potatoes to soften a little, which means less bake time 😎)
2. remove potatoes from microwave and slice potatoes into skinny (~1/4 - 1/8 inch thick) rounds horizontally.
3. on a parchment-paper lined baking sheet, place potatoes rounds down without overlapping one another. drizzle olive OR avocado oil evenly across all the rounds. sprinkle seasonings evening across all rounds. using hands, toss sweet potato rounds to evenly coat.
4. bake initially for 10 minutes, flip the potato rounds, then bake for another 10-15 (until rounds start to get a little crispy on the edges).
5. next, remove rounds from oven and turn on the broiler. sprinkle the rounds with cheese, and the *drained* black beans. pop back in the oven for addition 2-3 minutes (until cheese reaches nice melted crispiness).
6. finally, top with a few dollops of greek yogurt & salsa, as well as avocado slices, jalapenos, and other choice add-ons.